Whenever you change EHR software, one of the biggest pieces of the project is to figure out how to handle the data that resides in the system (or more often systems) that you’re replacing. Needless to say, there’s a lot that goes into this part of the project. In fact, it really is almost a full project unto itself.
Should you transition all the data or just part of the data? What do you do with the data that’s not transitioned? How do you ensure the data that’s migrated to the new EHR is accurate and that nothing is lost in the transition? What if you have to migrate from multiple systems to one new system? And that’s just getting started.
As more and more people move to MEDITECH’s Expanse EHR, they’re all facing these questions and more. To help healthcare organizations that are going through the process of moving to Expanse, we interviewed two experts when it comes to MEDITECH Expanse data conversion:
- Taylor Mawyer, Managing Consultant at Galen Healthcare Solutions
- Jay Dering, Director, Conversions at MEDITECH
Along with the interview above, if you want an even deeper dive into this topic, check out this FREE whitepaper “Switching to MEDITECH Expanse” which provides a great roadmap and plan for those transitioning to Expanse.
In case you don’t want to watch the full video above, here’s a rundown of the questions we discuss in this interview along with links and times for when we talk about each question. Just click the time below to skip directly to that portion of the video.
- Introductions [0:43]
- How is Expanse being received in the marketplace? [1:58]
- How has COVID-19 impacted moves to Expanse and how are you supporting these customers virtually during this time? [3:04]
- What’s the impact on end user experience when data is migrated to Expanse? [4:37]
- What should customers consider when developing a transition/migration plan to Expanse? What does the process of migrating to Expanse look like? [5:51]
- What’s the best practice for choosing to migrate or archive data? [10:43]
- What types of discrete data does MEDITECH support for a migration to Expanse? [12:13]
- What’s the process for migrating granular clinical data? [13:09]
- How do you handle patient matching and duplicates in a data migration? [19:01]
- What does migrated data look like at Go Live? [22:12]
- Are there other things customers should consider when migrating to Expanse? [24:47]
- Where can people learn more about Galen Healthcare and MEDITECH? [26:16]
The transition to a new EHR is a big process, but don’t make it worse by not creating a proper plan for how you’re going to handle the data in your current EHR and Health IT systems. There’s nothing worse than getting to go-live and your end users realizing you did a poor job transitioning the data from your old system.
Learn more about MEDITECH: https://ehr.meditech.com/
This interview is part of the #HealthIT100in100