April 3-9, 2016 is known as Health Information Professionals (HIP) week. This annual event is a great time for celebrating accomplishments and touting the diverse skills of HIM professionals. I came up with a list of great things for us to brag about during HIP week and every day:
- HIM Careers: There are roughly 180,000 HIM professionals in the United States. There are 15 nationally recognized professional credentials available for HIM. (Keep spreading the word so we are recognized when asked what we do for a living. We are not just Medical Records!)
- Information Governance: HIM professionals are the gatekeepers of health information and are perfectly apt to take on new exciting roles in Information Governance and Data Analytics.
- Advocacy: HIM professionals are in Washington, DC this week advocating for a unique patient safety identifier- My Health ID. Be sure to sign the petition to remove the ban that prevents HHS from working on this important endeavor.
- ICD-10: ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS coding classification systems were successfully implemented in October 2015 and are providing more specificity and detail to health data for documentation quality improvement and secondary data usage.
- Job Growth: There is a projected job growth of 18-26% in HIM positions in 2016. Source: Monster.com
- Remote Coding: Many medical coding professionals are able to work remotely from home.
- Social Media: A new hashtag for HIM social media conversations was started this week- #HIMsocial.
- Networking: We have great networking opportunities in HIM – conferences, online forums, and social media are great ways to learn and share information. Lifelong friendships and strategic relationships are always waiting to be made.
- HIPAA: HIM professionals ensure protected health information is kept secure and released only to the correct individuals who have a need to know. This protects healthcare consumers and prevents fines of millions of dollars for healthcare organizations annually.
- Versatility: HIM professionals are versatile and can provide many benefits to different healthcare settings including hospitals, physician offices, EMR vendors, auditors, and insurance providers among many others.
Happy HIP Week to all! Celebrate your success and that of our great HIM community!
If you’d like to receive future HIM posts by Erin in your inbox, you can subscribe to future HIM Scene posts here.