The following was an interesting and insightful first person customer response to my post about Meditech EHR. These comments are from an IS Director and current user of Meditech.
As someone who’s worked with Meditech systems for a number of years I’d offer the following observations/opinions:
1. They don’t charge enough to make the charts that measure success in terms of revenue.
2. If success were measured in number of clients they would lead the pack with over 25% of the US EMR market and over 40% of the Canadian.
3. They are considered a ‘small’ hospital product by the general EMR community. Thus, ‘big’ hospitals tend to ignore them. Too bad. They scale nicely.
4. They don’t advertise heavily. Word of mouth seems to be their go-to model.
5. They have an ugly UI. However, they get the job done reasonably well.
Like most EMR vendors they have their share of problems of course. They need to be more responsive to their customers. They need to spend more time consider work-flow rather than expecting customers to bend their practices around the system. They need to retain talent longer. Hiring fresh graduates from BC and then losing them to the consulting world a couple of years later is really annoying for customers.
What are your thoughts on Meditech? I look forward to reading more perspectives in the comments.