When a facility or Healthcare IT professional is thinking about entering the world of outsourcing there are mainly two avenues available to them, consulting firms or staffing companies. Much of the public thinks that consulting firms and staffing companies are one in the same. While their end goals are similar, their methods and business model are quite different. Today I would like to explain to you some of those differences and why many of the Healthcare IT professionals and facilities are migrating towards staffing companies.
Staffing firms are usually cut out of a different cloth than consulting shops. In the staffing world the individuals that lead these establishments are experts in delivering the exact individual you are looking for, in the work model, time line and price point you need!
Let’s face it 75-80% of the time a facility is looking for someone to come in and enhance their existing staff.
- Whether that is to help on a specific project.
- To bridge the gap until a FTE can be hired.
- To bring in a contractor who could turn into a FTE if he or she is a good fit.
Staffing companies can handle all of the above!
Sometimes you are not looking for one company to come in and completely run your project. Often these days consulting firms are focused on the just that! They put a lot of time and effort into facilities where they can install their solutions based practices. What I mean by that is they will install a Project Manager, who will then staff the rest of the project using only their candidates! That is the nirvana of the consulting world. If you are a facility or healthcare system in need of such a thing, then a consulting firm is something you might want to consider.
But if you are looking for project based help such as a (analysts, trainers, project managers or implementers) of your particular system, a staffing firm would nicely fit the bill!
- Staffing firms will listen to your specific needs. They don’t have a bench; therefore they will not be focused on presenting you with an individual they have sitting at home available. But rather present the proper candidate who best fits your criteria period!
- Staffing firms can be flexible with all of your logistical demands. If you need someone to work Mon-Fri or be from the local area, they can focus their search on just that. Opposed to presenting you with the “consulting” model where candidates work (4 10hr days and need to fly home every weekend)
- If you are working with an older or a smaller system. Staffing firms can help you. Because staffing firms can tailor their search to your specific requirements they can look for those unique and hard to find skill sets. The consulting firms tend to stick to their skill sets which they have a strong bench for. Many times, if you are working with a consulting firm that is willing to take a unique opening, odds are they are partnered with a staffing company.
- Staffing firms are made up of staffing professionals. People who have made a career of finding and building relationships with tough to find candidates. Too often consulting firms are made up of former consultants, who may be able to implement your particular system but fall short when relied upon to find quality and affordable candidates willing to work in your facility.
If you are a Healthcare IT professional and are thinking about stepping out into the exciting world of contracting or consulting here are some reasons why Staffing Firms might be a great choice for you as well!
- You get to choose your work location!- When you sign up with a consulting firms, you might get a nice salary and benefits, but one of the caveats is, you have to go where the work is. Of course if you are from Baltimore, they will attempt to keep you within a few hour plane ride of Baltimore, however if the only work you are suited for is in New Mexico, well you will need to go to New Mexico, or perhaps be laid off! If you work with a few staffing companies you can tailor your search to be as close to home as possible and most likely you will find something within an hour or so of your home!
- The money is usually better! – As a contractor you can negotiate each and every one of your own deals. Consulting firms often have a lot more overhead and therefore higher costs associated with each placement. This in turn makes the cost to the client actually higher than that of a staffing company. While the payout to the Healthcare IT professional is less.
- The fit is often better. Since you are interviewing for a specific opportunity as opposed to joining a firm, you will be an exact match. When joining a firm, they are talking about your skills in general. Not what you are going to do on a specific placement.
So in summation; when choosing a firm, whether it is for a new position for yourself or to help augment your current employees, please consider a staffing firm. I think you will be happy that you did!