CHICAGO (May 31, 2012) – Recent government initiatives, policies and requirements are fueling a demand for healthcare information professionals who can support this reform, and work, in the American healthcare system. HIMSS State HIT Dashboard now offers the Academic Health IT Directory, a central resource for campus-based, online and blended health IT academic programs across the country for those seeking a career in the field.
The Academic Health IT Directory lists 395 separate institutions that provide 499 programs. Users will find the URL for the school, accreditation (CAHIIM or AMIA 10×10), program name and type (associate, undergraduate, graduate, fellowship, certificate); delivery method (online-only; blended; brick and mortar); program contact name, department, address, email; and URL for the program.
“A strong workforce of skilled professionals in the health information technology field is a critical component for positive change in the healthcare industry,” said Carla Smith, MA, CNM, FHIMSS, Executive Vice President, HIMSS. “According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, medical records and health information technicians held about 172,500 jobs in 2008 (about 30 percent of jobs were in hospitals). Jobs are expected to grow by 20 percent, or about 35,100 new jobs, for the decade 2008-2018. The Academic Health IT Directory will provide a single source of health IT programs available in the US that is represented graphically to aid access and information gathering processes for aspiring health IT professionals.”
In addition to these newest offerings, the HIMSS State HIT Dashboard currently tracks:
• Beacon Communities: Identification of recipients including names, scope of activities and amount awarded
• HIMSS Analytics EMRAM Stage 7: Identification of US civilian hospitals achieving HIMSS Analytics EMRAM Stage 7
• HIMSS Chapter Information: Links and locations for HIMSS Chapters
• HIMSS Nicholas E Davies Award Recipients: Name, location, organizational description and affiliated news releases of on awardees for excellence in the use of EHRs
• Health Information Exchanges: Self-reported information from HIE organizations, including State-designated entities
• Medicaid EHR Incentive Payments: Payment and registration information by state
• Medicare EHR Incentive Payments: Payment and registration information by state
• Regional Extension Centers: Location and amount awarded by ONC for each REC
• State Legislation Tracking: Description and referenced information on pending state legislation
• State Resources: A repository of state-specific information, such as legislation timeframes, State HIT Coordinators, Medicaid regions, plus other State-designated and State-specific resources
• The SHARP Program: Identification of the SHARP program recipients including contact information and scope of activities
Visit the HIMSS Academic Health IT Dashboard on the HIMSS website.
HIMSS is a cause-based, not-for-profit organization exclusively focused on providing global leadership for the optimal use of information technology (IT) and management systems for the betterment of healthcare. Founded 51 years ago, HIMSS and its related organizations are headquartered in Chicago with additional offices in the United States, Europe and Asia. HIMSS represents more than 44,000 individual members, of which more than two thirds work in healthcare provider, governmental and not-for-profit organizations. HIMSS also includes over 570 corporate members and more than 170 not-for-profit organizations that share our mission of transforming healthcare through the effective use of information technology and management systems. HIMSS frames and leads healthcare practices and public policy through its content expertise, professional development, research initiatives, and media vehicles designed to promote information and management systems’ contributions to improving the quality, safety, access, and cost-effectiveness of patient care. To learn more about HIMSS and to find out how to join us and our members in advancing our cause, please visit our website at www.himss.org.