Can you believe that it is already that time again? It seems like just last month that we were making plans to get to Atlanta. I am sure that many of you are going to Orlando much more optimistic about job opportunities than the past few meetings. I know that I am very excited about the current state of Healthcare IT and about the job ahead of us to help hospitals and physicians become meaningful users of EMRS.
In case you don’t remember my best advice from last year, DO NOT ATTEMPT to attack HIMSS without a plan. As such, I am sharing my plan to stimulate your thinking as you put together your own.
1) Network (Like Crazy) Plan
- Host Happy Hour on Monday night (hope for 50+ attendees)
- Set up 1/3 of my time with pre-scheduled meetings with mentors, mentees, people that I hope will mentor me in the future, etc.
- Reserve 1/3 of my time for “walking around” and bumping into people – this is always the most valuable part of my trip to HIMSS
2) Learning Plan- visit vendors, attend sessions, and get business cards of gurus for the following:
- MPI Data Management
- Help Desk Outsourcing Vendors
- Specialty EMRS (ICU, Oncology, Surgery)
- Enterprise PACS Archives
3) Personal Time
- Visit my Mom and Sister who live in Melbourne, FL
- Eat sushi at least once
- Get a good night sleep each night since my 4-year-old will not be trying to climb in my bed :)!
That’s about it! Now PLEASE, get busy on your plan and I hope that we both will have a very productive time at HIMSS!